We planted our first garden this year.
This is our first full year where we have had a yard to plant a garden in.
We went from having no garden to having 300 square feet to work with. We had no idea what we where doing so we just planted a bunch of stuff that sounded good.
Peas, potatos, carrots, chives, bak choy, radishes, pumpkins, corn, oregano, thyme, articholkes, raspberries, basil, cilantro, kale, greenbeans, tomatos, egg plant, green peppers, jalipenos, zuccini, yellow squash, spagetti squash, butternut squash, strawberries, blueberries and cucumber.
Here are some things we learned:
1. Some things need to be planted before they go outside. For example tomatos, green peppers, jalipenos, and egg plants all need to be "started".
2. Birds love peas, strawberries and blueberries so you have to protect them somehow.
3. Slugs love beer
4. Marigolds are awesome to keep away tomato bugs.
5. If we don't label our plants sometimes we forget what they are.
6. Zuccini takes up a lot of space.
7. We don't like spagetti squash.
8. Pickles and marinara from the garden rock!
Our corn row path
Here's Zoe's reaction to some unexpectedly large produce.
This is one days worth of produce.
Pickles and Pickled Green Beans.